Pupil Personnel Services


Pupil Personnel Services

Candidates interested in becoming a school counselor, social worker, psychologist, or attendance teacher in the NYC public schools must possess or have completed all requirements for the appropriate New York State certificate. Candidates from out-of-state may be considered provided that they fall within the guidelines for interstate reciprocity as defined on the NY State website. Details of New York State Certification requirements in these various titles can be accessed by clicking here

Application and Hiring Process

For full-time employment opportunities for the 2015-16 school year, new prospective candidates are required to register and complete the NYCDOE online application which is now open. Instructions will be provided at the registration site.  

Since selections for PPS positions take place at the school level, you may research and apply directly to schools in which you have interest after you have completed an online application and received eligibility verification. (The Division of Human Resources does not hold interviews for these positions. Information about our schools is available at schools.nyc.gov.) Candidates who are deemed eligible for Speech and PPS positions through the online pre-screening process will be placed on a list of available and preferred candidates for principals to review. This list will be forwarded to hiring supervisors as requested. 

Eligible PPS candidates will be placed in the New Teacher Finder with eligible teachers. This search tool allows principals to post school-based positions and contact candidates, and allows candidates to search for vacancies and apply directly to schools. Please be aware that positions in these areas are extremely limited. Furthermore, these positions typically get posted during the summer months and into the start of the school year.

Bilingual Candidates for Pupil Personnel Services Positions

In order to seek a position as a Bilingual Pupil Personnel Service Provider you must hold the bilingual extension in addition to your base certificate in your professional discipline. If you have this extension certificate, please be sure to indicate this information when completing your online application. If you are bilingual and do not have the extension, we encourage you to pursue the bilingual extension requirements for certification. This will increase your chances of being selected for PPS positions. If you have been offered a position as a bilingual provider and need the bilingual extension, please contact the Office of Scholarship and Incentive programs for further information at (718) 935-2449.

Scholarship Programs for Bilingual Candidates

Scholarships are available for candidates who are fluent in English and in a second language, based on DOE need, in the following areas:

  • Bilingual School Counseling
  • Bilingual School Psychology
  • Bilingual School Social Work

For more information on the program and other scholarship areas, please visit http://teachnycprograms.net. Please note that currently employed teachers or clinicians are not eligible for the scholarship program.

Searching for Vacancies as a Current NYCDOE Employee

If you are currently a NYC Department of Education employed PPS or related service provider interested in a same title transfer, you may search for full-time vacancies in our schools through the Open Market system which is available from April through August. Directions on how to search vacancies are available at the top of the page. Once you identify a vacancy, you must follow the directions to submit an application via the Open Market. It is important to note that because of an overwhelming number of applicants, not all schools will contact you.