Substitute teaching applications are being accepted only from individuals who have been nominated by a principal using our online process. After a principal has completed the online nomination, an email is sent to the nominee with instructions on how to complete the online application. Once the nominee submits the application, an email will be sent listing the next steps nec-essary to work as a substitute teacher in the New York City public schools. The steps to be followed will differ based upon the nominee’s New York State teacher certification status.
I. If the nominee holds a valid New York State teaching certification, he/she will be invited to attend an expedited processing event called Fast-Track. At this event the teacher nominee must present a valid government photo identification (i.e. passport, current not expired drivers license or state id) and is required to submit the following:
- Original copy of a valid NYS teaching certificate and/or a print-out of the TEACH Online profile
- Receipt from the NYC or NYS Department of Education’s fingerprint unit (if available)
- $50.00 Money Order payable to: NYC Department of Education
- SubCentral Teacher Profile form (will be provided during processing appointment)
II. If the nominee does not possess New York State certification as a teacher, he/she will be in-vited to attend a Combined Assessment & Processing event consisting of a written assessment, oral evaluation and submission of said required forms and documents.
At the nominee's scheduled combo event, he/she must present a valid government photo identifica-tion (i.e. passport, current not expired drivers license or state id) and will be required to submit the following:
- Official Bachelor’s Degree transcript indicating degree conferral date (official masters tran-script accepted if education credits completed)
- $30.00 Money Order payable to the NYC Department of Education
- $50.00 Money Order payable to the NYC Department of Education (processing fee)
- Proof of completion of EdTraining Center (SubHub) online teacher training program
- Proof of completion of the Child Abuse and School Violence Prevention Workshops
- Proof of passing results or registration for the New York State Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST) within two months of your scheduled processing date
- Proof of fingerprinting (receipt from NYS or NYC fingerprint unit)
Upon successful completion of all the above requirements, the substitute teacher nominees, certified and uncertified will receive the following that must be reviewed prior to the first assignment:
- SubCentral System for Substitute Teachers CD and
- Bloodborne Pathogens webinar on DVD.
Please note that all individuals must have fingerprint clearance by the New York City Department of Education prior to serving as a substitute teacher. With this clearance, the substitute nominee will be eligible to serve as a substitute teacher throughout the New York City public schools.