Empower Teacher Practice.
Impact Student Achievement.
Become a Lead Teacher.
The 2014-2015 Lead Teacher application is now closed. Deadline to apply was May 27 for consideration for SY14-15.
The Lead Teacher program is a partnership between the NYC DOE and the United Federation of Teachers offering the district’s strongest teachers the opportunity to take on a leadership role within their schools.
Currently, over 250 Lead Teachers serve in over 160 schools across the city supporting across all content areas and grade levels to improve teaching practice and increase student achievement. Please note that there are a number of teacher leadership opportunities available to teachers. The Teacher Leadership Chart illustrates four programs and eligibility details.
What is a Lead Teacher?
Lead Teachers are practitioners who support the in-house and ongoing professional learning of other teachers by spending half the time teaching in their own classroom, and the other half supporting the development of peers. As per the UFT Bargaining Agreement, Lead Teachers are eligible to receive an additional $10,710 per year for their work.
The two primary components of the Lead Teacher’s work are:
- Having a classroom that serves as a lab for utilizing best teaching practices and for demonstrating new pedagogical strategies and curriculum.
- Supporting the professional development of other teachers either by grade(s) or subject area. This may include:
- Leading study groups around standards, assessments and instruction
- Assisting teachers in setting goals for their professional development
- Serving as a “critical friend” to colleagues by providing coaching and feedback
- Facilitating regular grade level or subject area planning meetings
- Leading action research projects with other teachers
- Building trust and collegiality among teachers
Lead Teachers also participate in professional development and training prior to the start of school and work four hours per month outside of normal school hours.
Program: Full school-year position (September-June). Continuation in the role in subsequent years is at the discretion of the school leader.
Why become a Lead Teacher?
The Lead Teacher role offers a unique opportunity to broaden your impact within your school community while remaining in the classroom. Lead Teachers receive:
- generous stipend for your commitment
- access to ongoing professional learning opportunities
- opportunity to join an elite cohort of 250+ lead teachers serving in over 170 schools across the city
Please review our Lead Teacher Overview
for further details about this exciting leadership opportunity. In addition, please explore the teacher leadership opportunities
through NYC Department of Education.
Who is eligible to apply?
To be eligible for a position as a Lead Teacher, you must be a current, licensed, teacher in New York City district public schools and tenured as of September 1, 2014.
Selection will take place in a two-stage process:
- Initial selection will be made by a joint DOE/UFT central personnel committee. The central personnel committee will screen applications and conduct in-person interviews to create a pool of eligible candidates from which school committees can select.
- Each participating school will establish its own school-based personnel committee. This committee will make selections from the central candidate pool.
What can Lead Teachers expect
- Current NYC district tenured teachers, with at least 3 years of successful teaching experience (as of 9/1/14)
- Teachers with at least 1 year of successful adult leadership experience, including formal and informal roles
- Record of successfully impacting student achievement and working with high-need students
- Record of creating model classroom learning environments
- Proven ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues
- Proven ability to create and nurture a professional learning community
- Work with colleagues in a variety of ways to help improve student achievement
- Be able to have your own class and coach colleagues at the same time
- Be recognized as an instructional teacher leader within your school building
- Join a cohort of like-minded peers and colleagues
For further information regarding the Lead Teacher Program, please email LeadTeachers@schools.nyc.gov