School counselors connect students and families who may have mental health needs to vital community resources. School counselors lend their full assistance in these referrals, and provide follow up in order to build networks of support between the home, school, and the community.
Citywide Mental Health Youth Resource Flyer - provides resources available to students and families.
, which is available through the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, provides mental health and social service referrals by zip code and by family medical insurance.
NYC DOE School-Based Mental Health Programs
offer a variety of services targeting those students who have emotional and behavioral difficulties in general education. Health Information Tools for Empowerment (HITE)
is a resource for medical, mental health and related services in New York. Search for Programs and Services for a wealth of resources in areas such as: after-school programs/youth groups, child care/day care, counseling for children, domestic abuse/victims’ services, early childhood education, family financial and welfare services, home-based family support, LGBTQ services, mentoring, parenting support, psychological testing for youth, summer youth programs, and tutoring.ACT for Youth Center of Excellence
provides multiple online resources in youth development including powerpoint presentations with accompanying narration.AAFSC – the Arab-American Family Support Center (AAFSC)
launched their domestic violence program, Beit Amal or “House of Hope” in January 2010 to address the critical need for culturally competent services for victims and survivors of domestic violence, teen dating violence, sexual assault and stalking in the Arab American community. Services provided by Beit Amal include direct services to victims and survivors of violence, counseling, school-based workshops for teens, staff trainings, support and empowerment groups for girls and women, referrals, and community outreach and education. For additional information about Beit Amal services, please contact Sara Elghobashy at (347) 560-6577 or email@example.com
. For all other social services provided by AAFSC, please contact the main office at (718) 643-8000 or visit the AAFSC website
. Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- a clearinghouse of materials relating to Social Emotional Learning, including Safe and Sound: An Educator's Guide to Social Emotional Learning Programs. Comunilife
- A non-for-profit health and human services agency providing comprehensive services including mental health, social services and housing. Services include: "Life is Precious," a Latina Suicide Prevention Program and the VIDA Guidance Center
. Crisis Management Institute (Free Resources Section)
- School Counselors, teachers, administrators and other school personnel may access suggestions for strategic practices in crisis management.
Dating Matters Initiative
- includes a 60-minute, web-based training
designed to help educators, youth-serving organizations, and others working with teens understand the risk factors and warning signs associated with teen dating violence. Developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in partnership with Liz Claiborne Inc. Email DatingMatters@cdc.gov
or click here
to learn more about teen dating violence prevention.DayOne
Youth Group for Survivors of Intimate Partner Abuse provides opportunities for a safe environment for young adults to talk, listen, share, and support each other as survivors of intimate partner violence. DayOne services are free and confidential. National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City Metro, Inc. (NAMI-NYC Metro) Flyer
- this group provides support for families and individuals who live with mental illness. Their free programs and services are designed to help meet the mental health needs of all New Yorkers. NYS Student Support Services Center Newsletter "Making Connections"
– includes current and past issues. Office of Adolescent Health
- A division of the US Department of Health & Human Services
providing a wide range of resources on the topic of adolescent health. View here
information posted Feb 8, 2012 addressing the topic of Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention.
Sesame Street's New Divorce Initiative - Little Children, Big Challenges: Divorce
provides a range of multimedia tools to help families with young children (2-8) cope with divorce and separation. View project overview