School counselors use career planning tools to help students connect short-term and long-term goals, as well as to aid in college advisement:
- The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) Career Exploration Program
provides a wide range of career exploration tools free
to participating schools. For additional information or to schedule an ASVAB test date at your school, please contact Vivian Moss (email@example.com
(N.B.: As per Chancellor's Regulation A-825, NYC DOE schools which administer the ASVAB must select Option 8, which does not permit the results to be released to military recruiters.)
- features multiple resources including career videos, online interest inventory and much more! CareerZone
- NYS Department of Labor, offers an online career exploration and planning system designed especially for youth in New York State.
CareerZone includes current occupational and labor market information displayed in an interactive and interesting way, making career exploration and planning fun! For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
. To learn more about CareerZone, please review resources including a video clip
, desk aid
, and classroom activities
.Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) Resource Guide with Core Curriculum
- The NYS Education Department's CDOS guide features teacher developed classroom activities that help students achieve the CDOS standards.
- The School for Cooperative Technical Education offers 17 different certification courses in a variety of careers from culinary arts to computer networking. The program has a half-day model where students can attend their DOE high school or GED program for half of the day and attend Co-op Tech for the other half of the school day. For further information, please contact Leslie Sims
.Guidance Review Card
- NYS Education Department Commissioner’s Regulation 100.2
on General School Requirements requires an annual review of each student's academic achievement and career plans. The Guidance Review Card is intended to document this annual review for each student. The card follows the student from middle school to high school, and covers grades 7-12. Counselors are frequently able to complete this task by interviewing small groups of students. The Guidance Review Card is available at the DOE On-Line Administrative Forms Catalog
.Mentoring in Medicine
- provides opportunities to increase the participation of students of color in the wide range of careers in the medical field. Missouri Center for Career Education
has compiled a list of K-8 career development and exploration resources
. My Next Move
, a site created the American Job Center network - a collaboration of several federal agencies, features a convenient online career interest inventory and other career exploration tools. National Career Development Guidelines
- provide school counselors and career advisors with a framework of career development goals, as well as related indicators of student mastery.Occupational Outlook Handbook
- a nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives.Virginia Career View
- provides a career information delivery system for grades K-8.
Employment Opportunities for Students
School counselors connect students to employment opportunities:NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS)
FEMA Student Temporary Employment Opportunity - offers valuable summer work experience for students in the NY-area Federal Emergency Management Agency
- explains how to apply for civil service exams administered by the City of New York, and includes the official exam schedule, starting salaries, job descriptions, and required education and work experience for each job title. Summer Youth Employment Program
- made available through the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development. YMCA Teen Career Connection
- offers teen employment opportunities including providing recreational activities for children.