Browse the Charter School Directory to find the elementary, middle, and high school charter options in the five boroughs. The directory includes the school's mission and model, lottery and enrollment preferences, location and community school district, and more.
If you are interested in enrolling your child in a charter school, you should contact the charter school directly to receive specific information about the school's application process.
Admission to a charter school cannot be limited on the basis of disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion, ancestry, intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, or athletic ability.
Lottery and Enrollment
The deadline to apply for most charter schools is April 1st.
- If the number of applicants for a charter school exceeds the number of available seats, a random selection process, such as a lottery, must be used.
- If you miss the charter school’s deadline, you can still apply, but your child will be placed at the bottom of the waitlist.
- Each school has its own application. For information about specific charter schools and their enrollment deadlines, contact the schools directly.
- Most charter schools also use the NYC Charter School Center’s Common Application.
Charter School Open Houses and Information Sessions
Some schools host open houses, information sessions, and/or tours.
Charter schools give enrollment preferences to:
- returning students
- siblings of students already enrolled
- students living in the same community school district
Charter schools may also give preferences to the following groups (if law and the school’s authorizer allows):
- English language learners
- Students who are eligible for free or reduced price lunch
- Single-sex charter schools are allowed