UNIT 3: FOOD AND NUTRITION
- The health, growth, and development of organisms are affected by environmental conditions such as the availability of food, air, water, space, shelter, heat, and sunlight. http://www.tc.edu/life/
UNIT 4: EXPLORING ECOSYSTEMS
- Observe and describe how plants use air, water, and energy from the sun to produce their own food.
- Classify populations of organisms as producers, consumers, or decomposers by the role they serve in the ecosystem (food chains and food web). LE 5.1d,e LE 6.1 a,b http://www.epa.gov/wastes/education/quest/pdfs/sections/u1_chap1.pdf See lesson “How Many People Does It Take to Ruin an Ecosystem?”
- Describe the way humans:
- Depend on their natural and constructed environment.
- Have changed their environment over time. LE 7.2b,c LE 7.2d
- Identify examples where human activity has had a beneficial or harmful effect on other organisms (e.g., deforestation).
- Air Quality Index: http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqikids.index
- Air Pollution Activity: http://www.k12science.org/curriculum/airproj/index.html
- Identify cause-and-effect relationships.
- Interpret and/or illustrate the energy flow in a food chain, energy pyramid, or food web.