The New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the District 15 Community Education Council (CEC 15) have identified a need to change the current zones for P.S. 154, P.S. 130, P.S. 230, and P.S. 131.
To learn more about this proposed rezoning, including maps of the proposed changes, please review the presentation here or the FAQ for families here.
Why is the DOE proposing to make these zone changes?
- To expand the zone for P.S. 130. Beginning in 2015-2016, P.S. 130 will have additional capacity: building K437 will be used as a secondary site for P.S. 130.
- To alleviate overcrowding in District 15.
- To decrease the number of students capped and overflowed from Sunset Park and Borough Park by expanding the P.S. 230 zone.
When would this zoning change be implemented?
- The proposed zone changes would take effect for the 2015-2016 school year.
What changes might District 15 families expect as a result of this proposed re-zoning?
- Some residents in the southern portion of the P.S. 154 zone will be zoned for P.S. 130.
- Some residents in the eastern portion of the P.S. 230 zone will be zoned for P.S. 130.
- Some residents in the eastern portion of the P.S. 131 zone will be zoned for P.S. 230.
- The map on the back shows the proposed zone line changes.
Who does this rezoning proposal impact?
- Incoming pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students or students who are new to NYC schools in 2015-2016.
- All currently enrolled students at P.S. 154, P.S. 130, P.S. 230, and P.S. 131 may remain in their school.
- Sibling priority, as determined by CEC 15, may be applicable for incoming kindergarten students.
How will this rezoning change student enrollment and space at P.S. 154, P.S. 130, P.S. 230, and P.S. 131?
- P.S. 154’s total enrollment is expected to decrease from approximately 555 students to 420-480 students. This will decrease the building utilization from approximately 139% to 105%-120%.
- P.S. 130’s total enrollment is expected to increase from approximately 711 students at the school’s current location to 1,075-1,135 across buildings K130 and K437. This will decrease building utilization at K130 from approximately 141% to 110%-120%, while building K437 will have a utilization rate of 115%-125%.
- P.S. 230’s total enrollment is expected to increase from approximately 1,322 students to 1,495-1,555 students. This will increase the building utilization from approximately 111% to 125%-130%.
- P.S. 131’s total enrollment is expected to decrease from approximately 1,176 students to 1,075-1,135 students. This will decrease the building utilization from approximately 146% to 135%-140%.
How will this re-zoning decision be made?
- The DOE proposed zoning changes to the District 15 CEC at a public meeting on October 8th, 2014.
- The CEC collects community feedback.
- The CEC is responsible for approving zoning changes. CEC 15 is expected to vote in November (pending CEC notification).
Whom can I contact with questions or comments about the proposal?
Where can I go for more information on zoning and admissions?