No events scheduled for 12/3/2016
PROPOSED AND APPROVED: Description of Zone Changes for I.S. 61 and New School at New Building Q311 in Effect for 2013-14 and 2015-16 School Years
Description of Zone Changes for I.S. 61 and New School at New Building Q311 in Effect for 2013-14 and 2015-16 School Years
On September 24, 2012, Community Education Council 24 voted to change the current zone for I.S. 61 in order to create a new temporary incubation zone for the New School at Q311 beginning in September 2013 and to create a new long-term zone for the New School when it moves into new building Q311 beginning in September 2015. The approved zone changes for the 2013-2014 and 2015-2016 school years may be found in the maps provided below.
Why did the CEC approve this zone change?
- The Department of Education plans to open a new middle school in new building Q311, located at 97-11 44th Avenue, Queens, NY 11368, in September 2015.
- Instead of waiting until September 2015 to open the new school, the DOE plans to incubate a portion of the new zone in a temporary location (QTBD) for two years beginning in September 2013. The school would be re-sited to new building Q311 in September 2015 with its full grade span.
- The zone change provides a temporary new zone for New School during its incubation beginning in September 2013.
- The zone change provides a new zone for New School when it moves into its long-term location in new building Q311 beginning in September 2015.
What changes should families expect as a result of this re-zoning?
- Some students previously zoned for I.S. 61 will now be zoned for the New School during its incubation in a temporary location beginning in September 2013.
- Some students previously zoned for I.S. 61 will now be zoned for the New School when it moves into its long-term site beginning in September 2015.
What will this mean for my family?
- The proposed changes would impact only incoming 6th grade students or students that are new to the system. All currently enrolled students may remain at their school.
Where can I go for more information?
28-11 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City, 11101
To view a map of the new, approved zones for 2013-14, click here
 The Educational Impact Statement (EIS) will be posted on a date TBD. This proposal will be voted on by the Panel for Educational Policy on a date TBD.
Opportunities for Feedback
The Community Education Council for District 24 (CEC 24) voted on this proposal at its meeting on September 24, 2012. To download a copy of the resolution, click here.