Human Resources

Update Your Personal HR Record

If you have moved, changed your phone number or email, or recently married and changed your last name, you will need to update your personal HR record with the NYC DOE. 

Administrative employees and pedagogues can make changes to following online using Employee Self-Service (ESS):

  • Home address
  • Personal telephone number(s)
  • Personal email address
  • Name change
  • Gender
  • Ethnicity 

To make these changes:

  1. Read the following documents to orient yourself to the ESS tool:
    A Guide to Using Employee Self Service
    Employee Self Service: Frequently Asked Questions

  2. Log in to ESS from work or from home: 

  3. Enter your User ID and Password:
    If logging in for the first time, use the following:
    - Your User ID is your 7-digit Employee ID/PMS Reference # provided by your agency or found on your previous pay stubs. (New hires receive their Employee ID/PMS Reference # as part of the new hire process.)
    - Your temporary password consists of the last two digits of your SSN, the first three letters of your birth month (must be upper case), your birthday day (including the leading zero, if applicable), and birth year (e.g. the password for an employee with a SSN of XXX-XX-XX99 and a birth date of 01/02/1900 would be 99JAN021900). You will be prompted to change this immediately upon login.
    - If this is not your first time logging on, use the password you created when you logged on for the first time.

  4. Once logged in, click the type of information you would like to update in the Personal Information section.
    Please note: Name change requests are verified with the Social Service Administration.  Therefore, you must have already received a new Social Security card with your new name before your name can be changed in ESS.

Should you have any problems completing these steps, please contact HR Connect at (718) 935-4000.

The way you make these changes will depend upon the employee population to which you belong:
Administrative Employees (H/ZBank) and Pedagogues (QBank)
Hourly and Part-Time Employees (EBank, TBank)

Also, please note the following:
Address Changes May Impact Health Benefits
Updating Other Agencies

Administrative Employees (H/ZBank) and Pedagogues (QBank)
Samples of titles within these populations include:

• Staff Analysts
• Educational Analysts
• Parent Coordinators
• SAPIS Workers
• Interpreters
• Nurses and Nurse Supervisors
• Clerical Aides
• Accountants
• Bookkeepers
• Attorneys
• Customer Service Representatives
• Fingerprinting Technicians
• Computer Associates
• Occupational Therapists
• Physical Therapists
• Computer Technicians
• Software Developers 
• Teachers
• Principals
• Assistant Principals
• Guidance Counselors
• School Social Workers
• School Psychologists
• School Payroll Secretaries
•  Laboratory Specialists
• Regularly Appointed  Substitute Teachers
• Pedagogic Managers
• School Supervisors
• Teacher-assigned
• Principal-assigned
• Assistant Principal-assigned
• Education Administrators not staffed at a CFN
• CFN-based Education Administrators

Hourly and Part-Time Employees (EBank, TBank, and Custodial Engineers)
Samples of titles within these populations include:

  • Education Paraprofessionals
  • UFT day-to-day Substitute Paraprofessionals
  • Family Paraprofessionals (Family Worker, Parent Program Assistant)
  • Hourly School Support Staff (School Aide, Health Service Aide, School Lunch Helper, Co-op Students)
  • School safety staff (School Guard, School Safety Officer)
  • Z-status Per Diem (Long term day-to-day sub)
  • F-status Per Diem (State certified employee working a pre-fixed schedule)
  • O-status Per Diem (Employee working as Occasional sub staff)
  • Per Session Staff (Employees working pre or post school hours, summer school or any period of time during which the schools are officially closed)
  • Custodial Engineers

Custodial Payroll
Biographical and tax information should be sent to:

By mail:
Division of School Facilities
Attn: Nancy Croce
Room 407
44-36 Vernon Blvd
LIC, NY 11101

Changes to the following can be made over the telephone by calling HR Connect at (718) 935-4000:

  • Home address
  • Personal telephone  number(s)
  • Personal email address

Address Changes May Impact Health Benefits
Each health benefits plan has its own service area. Employees must reside within the service area in order to be eligible for the health plan. If an employee moves outside of his or her current health plan's service area, he or she will no longer be eligible for that health plan and must make a new health plan election. If the employee fails to make a new election, he or she will be dropped from the current health plan on the effective date of the address change.
Health benefits will be dropped as of the effective date of the address change, so the employee must make a new health plan election within 31 days of the address change to avoid a lapse in coverage.

Updating Other Agencies
You must notify the following of your changes:

  • Retirement system, such as BERS, TRS, NYCERS
  • Unions/Welfare funds (DC-37, UFT, CSA, and MBF)
  • Health Benefits provider
  • Savings bond/College savings
  • Your payroll secretary or timekeeper
  • TransitCheck (using Payroll Portal)

Please note: DOE automatically updates your address with your insurance provider; however, if your insurance provider has service area restrictions, you must contact them to find out if your address change affects your coverage.