Shubert Foundation/ MTI
Broadway Junior Musical Theater Program
Attention Middle Schools:
Application Deadline: Monday, October 16, 2017
The Shubert Foundation/Music Theatre International (MTI) Broadway Junior program is a significantly-funded opportunity to strengthen the arts in schools through musical theater. This dynamic program supports NYC public middle schools as they produce, rehearse and perform a one hour musical.
Click here to watch a short film showcasing the Broadway Junior Program in action.
Shubert/MTI Broadway Junior, a partnership among the Shubert Foundation, Music Theatre International and the NYC Department of Education, provides up to $10,500 in artistic services and theater resources to engage schools in the process of creating a sustainable theater program while developing creative life-long learners.
The goals of the Broadway Junior Program are to:
- Support middle schools to develop sustainable quality arts education programs
- Engage students in the joyful process of creating musical theater (rehearsal, design, and performance)
- Foster a strong educational community as students, teachers, staff, and families all 'play a role'
- Encourage the connection of arts programming to curriculum study in all content areas
The program provides schools with a professional teaching artist to advise and assist teachers and students throughout the process of producing their musical. Schools also receive:
- Significant funding to subsidize teacher per session costs
- Professional development workshops for teachers
- Resources including the Broadway Junior Showkit (see application)
- The unique opportunity for students to perform in a city-wide theater event
- Student discount tickets to a Broadway show
2017 Broadway Junior Festival
The 12th Anniversary celebration of Broadway Junior was held on Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:30 am at Broadway's Winter Garden Theatre. Rodney Hicks and Chad Kimball, from the TONY-award winning COME FROM AWAY, hosted the event celebrating these first time performers before 1000 invited guests from the theater and education communities as well as family and friends.
Nearly 500 students from Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island and Queens performed musical theater numbers from their fully produced school versions of Broadway JR musicals on a Broadway stage. The shows included Annie JR.; Disney's Beauty and the Beast JR.; Disney's The Lion King JR.; Hairspray JR.; Once on This Island JR.; Peter Pan JR.; Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka JR.; Shrek The Musical JR.; and Thoroughly Modern Millie JR.
Click here to watch a short film celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Shubert/MTI Broadway Junior program.
For questions about the program, contact Peter Avery at PAvery@schools.nyc.gov with any questions.